Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Bathroom In The Tropics

While the beach and the tropics may be related, when it comes to decor styles, they can be very different. When someone says beachy to me, I see blues, seashells, exc. As illustrated from my previous post, my half bath is the epitome of beachy.

This post, however is about my first home improvement project - the upstairs bathroom, which is done in a fun tropical style. Until recently, my upstairs bathroom was dark blue - my parents favorite color, practically everything we had was blue. (Now I only have one beachy bathroom. That is of my blue home decor, unless a guest room is done to match the beachy bathroom). So the bathroom had one wall that was dark blue, with white sponge painting. The other walls were white with blue sponge painting. Outdated brass fixtures, and a dingy white medicine cabinet completed the room.


I was tired of this blue bathroom, so my mother asked me what color I would like it to be. Anything but blue really. She suggested mauve. Ok this is not 1950. Mauve, that could be worse than blue. And seriously, the bathroom was pink before my parents re-did it blue.

I suggested green. She agreed. I brought home several paint samples and she kept insisting that it had to be this light green. Well number one, I don't want hospital green. And this blue paint is very dark, hence a darker color needed to be selected. Plus, only a select number of colors would coordinate with the gray counter top, which was not in the budget to be replaced. I choose Behr Herbal Green. She didn't like the color, but I went ahead and bought it anyway. The ceiling was painted Polar Bear White.

I also choose all brushed nickel fixtures, including a new faucet and light fixture. I also knew the decor would be palm trees, because hello - green. I found the perfect palm tree shower curtain and matching window curtains at Bed Bath and Beyond, on clearance! Then I got new towels and shagged bath rugs at Kohls, along with tropical bath accessories such as the waste basket and soap dispenser!

I completed the room by painting the medicine cabinet frame with a brown matching the palm tree bark on the shower curtain. I took the same green wall paint and went over the design with a q-tip. Now that cabinet looks brand new! I also hung a framed painting of a palm tree that we already had in the house.


So downstairs we have the beach, and upstairs the tropics!

No comments:

Post a Comment