Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Ice Cold


Well, winter has officially arrived here in Michigan. The first winter storm of the season blasted the area with 4-6 inches of snow Sunday. It was wet, heavy snow that turned into ice when the temperatures plummeted to 14 degrees that evening. These low tempurature have been hanging around all week, causing roadways to be solid sheets of ice, as salt does not work when it's this frigid.

These past 2 morning drives have been slippery ones, which reminded me of the first time I ever drove on ice...

I was just about 10 or 12 years old and I was up north at my uncle's cottage one winter weekend. The lake was completely frozen and my dad was ice fishing and I was using my new ice skates. My dad frequently let me drive the car up there on the dirt roads, and this time he asked me if I would like to drive on the lake. I didn't know you could do such a thing, but agreed.

I took our minivan out for a ride on the frozen lake to check on our fishing holes, and my dad even taught me how to do wheelies in the car. When we drove by the cottage on the lake, my mom noticed though the kitchen window and was apparently yelling many bad words, and my dad got an earful when we arrived home about how insurance doesn't cover the vehicle when it's not on LAND! We had a great time, so it was worth the trouble.

Needless to say, I'm quite accustomed to driving on ice. I've been doing it for about 10 years or so now.

No comments:

Post a Comment